Skip to content Skip to footer

Real Estate Tax FAQ

Real Estate Tax FAQ

Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions that are asked of our staff.  If you still have questions, please feel free to contact us.

Many mortgage companies pay electronically, and do not require a bill. We suggest that you contact your mortgage company to confirm this. A bill is mailed to you for your records. Many park districts and libraries require you to show your tax bill for proof of residency.

The tax remains with the property regardless of ownership. To determine your liability for paying the tax, check your closing statement to see if the seller gave you credit, or contact your attorney.

We suggest that you call your Township Assessor (County’s Assessor’s Page) to verify that you are receiving the exemptions for which you qualify. They can also answer any questions pertaining to your assessed valuation.

Call the Bureau County Clerk at (815) 875-2014, and ask for Statement of Redemption. Give them your Permanent Index Number (PIN).

The Permanent Index Number is located on your bill. If you can not locate your bill, you may contact the Treasurer’s Office.  More information about your PIN can be found here.

Yes you can. Please make sure that your addition is correct and list the Permanent Index Numbers of the properties you are paying on your check. Include the correct stub(s) for each installment payment you are making.

Your cancelled check is your receipt. If you should need a paid receipt, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your payment.

Yes, we do charge taxpayers for duplicate copies of their tax bills ($1.00).

Learn about Exemptions.  (Need URL)

The legal assessment level of non-agricultural property is 33 1/3 percent of the market value. To determine whether your particular assessment is fair, you must have three items of information. First, you must know the market value of your property. This is defined as the price you would accept if a willing and able buyer would offer to purchase your property at today’s prices. Second, you need to know the assessed value of your property. Finally, you need to know the average percentage of market value at which similar properties in your area are assessed. With this information you will be able to figure the percentage of full value at which your property is assessed and compare it to the average assessment level for similar properties. The percentage of value at which your property is assessed should be similar to the percentage of other properties in your county.

You have the right to inspect the assessor’s records, which contain assessed values as well as other information. Assessment information is available from the Supervisor of Assessments. You may inspect the records for any parcel of property, as well as the records for your own property, subject to reasonable regulations set down by local officials. Also, every four years when all property is viewed and reassessed, a complete list of property assessments is published in a newspaper of general circulation in your county.

You can file a complaint with the County Board of Review. If you are dissatisfied with the Board’s decision, contact the Supervisor of Assessments for additional information or you may appeal the Board of Review’s decision to the State Property Tax Appeal Board.

Yes. Any changes in real estate assessments must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county every year. Every four years, when all property is reassessed, a complete list of assessments will be published. In addition, taxpayers must be mailed a notice of any change in their assessment from the prior year.

Generally, yes, it is too late unless you have already taken your complaint to the Board of Review.

Your taxes may be sold at the annual tax sale. If this is done, you will retain the right to redeem your property for two and one-half years to three years. To redeem it, you will have to pay costs and interest in addition to any tax due.

A parcel of land used for agricultural purposes for two years is eligible for assessment as a farm. An agricultural economic value based on net income of farms in Illinois is the basis of the assessment of crop land; other farm land is assessed based on its use. Farm homesites and dwellings are assessed at one-third of market value; but farm buildings are assessed at one-third of their contribution to the farm’s productivity. Information about farm assessments can be obtained from the Supervisor of Assessments.

Your taxes may be high (or higher than they were last year) for the following reasons: The taxing districts in which your property is located may have asked for more property tax money than they received the year before. A district may ask for more tax money because of inflationary pressure, because it plans to provide more services, or because other revenues are being reduced. Your taxes may be higher because other properties in a taxing district are receiving statutorily allowed exemptions.